Leaving the Las Vegas of Thailand

April 15--Phuket, Thailand

I did not think I was going to like Phuket after reading about it in the guidebooks and looking at all the billboards on the bus ride in, advertising large shopping malls and cabaret shows. But, as usual, you can find beauty if you only look hard enough and have the right attitude. Since I am not a huge fan of Las Vegas, I wasn’t excited about a city that, in my mind, seemed like the Las Vegas of Thailand. Lots of bars, transvestite shows, tourists and….did I mention tourists? Many people like Las Vegas, but that just wasn’t what I wanted my tranquil, spiritual and meditative trip to Southeast Asia to be like.

However, I made up my mind and I was bound and determined to make the best of it. It actually turned out to not be very hard at all to find special memories and to make the best of our stay there. Looking back, we had a lot of great laughs and memorable experiences. It was a fabulous ending to our month in Thailand.


UPDATE:
The photographer that took pictures of me for the biker magazine has now e-mailed me. (I had my doubts that he would actually write, but he did!!!) Here are a few more pictures of us at the Phuket Bike Week.
Notice the big water gun in the woman's hand marking the beginning of the Thai new year. (see previous blog entry for explanation.)

No comments: